AMES 1901-1905 One of Michigan's
leading manufacturers of buggies and cutters. Dean Carriage Company built a few cars from stock parts. They were
rather good cars, but the litigation over the Selden Patent induced them to stop production.
ARGO 1914-1915 A small low priced car made in a section
of American Gear Company on Hupp Avenue by Briscoe. Price range $250.00 to $500.00. Produced auto less than two
Ben Briscoe produced them in a factory on WIldwood Avenue. Built a new factory on Horton Street in 1917 and ended production
in 1920. Taken over by Earl. It was later the Hancock Building.
BUICK 1904-1907 Model "F" The Model F Buick was built in Jackson until
1907, when its production was shifted from the Kelsey Hayes Building in Jackson to Flint, Michigan. President was William
C.V.I. (CUTTING SIX)
1907-1908 Five cars were built in the factory on Horton Street, later used by Frost Gear. Rather good cars, but
management was discouraged by the 1907 Depression and the car did not go into regular production.
CARTER CAR 1904-1913 Byron Carter built several cars in Jackson
during the early part of this period. Made some Detroit financing arrangements and produced the cars later in Pontiac.
Car featured a disc friction drive transmission. Mr. Carter founded the Jackson Automobile Company.*
CUTTING 1911-1912 Built by Clark Carter Automobile Company. It was a powerful good
quality car using a Milwaukee motor of 30, 40, 50 and 60 HP. Cutting was entered at the Indianapolis 500 race in 1911-1912,
its best performance being in 1911. Price range from $1,200.00-$1,500.00. It was built on N. Mechanic Street.
The company failed in 1912 becuase of lack of capital. **
DUCK 1913 Jackson Automobile Company. It never was successful, because it confused the public with the
steering wheel in the backseat. The field of vision was held by peering over the passengers who rode in the front seat.
EARL MOTORS 1920-1923 Mr. Clarence Earl left Willys Overland in Toledo and came to Jackson and took over
defunct Briscoe Auto Company.*
FULLER 1908-1910 Cars made by Fuller Buggy Company in a plant located on East
Michigan Avenue at Belt Line Railroad. made high Wheelers and also regular wheels with pneumatic tires. Pric ranged
from $800 to $1,200. Mr. Matthews of Jackson Auto Company owned the Fuller Company.**
No information on this auto available. Probably extinct.
GLOBE ? No information on this
HACKETT 1916-1919 Made by section of American Gear Company on Hup Avenue, after the
Argo Motor Car Company went defunct. Small car, 112 inches. Output small.
Produces by son Fred Lewis, after father Charles Lewis sold his interest in Jackson Auto Co. and passed away soon after.
Cars were also assembled in Chelsea in the old Glaisier Building. Price range $900 to $1,400.
1907-1916 Made by Imperial MOtor Car Co., a local group. First made at 120 E. Washington St. later at the corner
of Wisner and Ganson St. in Kelsey Hayes Building. Very good car, built 1,062.**
Jackson Motor Car Co. built first autoes on Hupp Avenue, later at factory on East Michigan Avenue and Horton. Good automobile
with dealers throughout U.S. and Canada. Total output 10,000 cars.*
JAXON 1901-1903 This was
the first car to be made in Jackson by Bryon Carter and his Jackson Automobile Co.